Become a REALTOR®
Below are steps to start the process:
- File an application with the Nebraska Real Estate Commission (NREC).
- Two types of licenses are issued by NREC: a salesperson's license and a broker's license. A salesperson's license allows the licensee to engage in all facets of the real estate business, if employed and supervised by a licensed broker. A broker's license allows the licensee to engage in all facets of the real estate business, either as a self-employed broker or as an associate broker employed and supervised by a licensed broker.
- Fill out an application: Salesperson Application Packet or Broker Application Packet.
- If you have any questions, please contact NREC at 402-471-2004 or email.
- Undergo a criminal background check.
- Pass the state real estate exam. To become a licensed real estate salesperson in the state of Nebraska, you must first complete two pre-licensing courses approved by NREC. These courses provide preparatory training for the state exam.
- We offer pre-licensing coursework through our partnership with VanEd
Second, join our association.
All real estate licensees are not the same. Only real estate licensees who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® are properly called REALTORS®. They proudly display the REALTOR "®" logo on the business card or other marketing and sales literature. REALTORS® are committed to treat all parties to a transaction honestly. REALTORS® subscribe to a strict code of ethics and are expected to maintain a higher level of knowledge of the process of buying and selling real estate.
For those who want to strive for REALTOR® status, becoming a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® allows them use of the REALTOR® "R" of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. It tells consumers and prospective clients that the person using the title of REALTOR® is a member of the local, state, and national associations of REALTORS®, and voluntarily subscribes to the Code of Ethics of these organizations.
A member under the jurisdiction of any local board must join the REALTORS® Association at the local, state, and national levels; however, the "Board of Choice" policy allows members to join the local board most beneficial to them. View information regarding Nebraska’s local boards.